View Single Post

Old 07-01-2013, 12:26 PM
Joan64 Joan64 is offline Windows Vista Office 2007
Novice

Joan64 is on a distinguished road
Default Windows 7 Not Responding, Strange Occurences

I have an HP desktop Pavilion HPE Series, Windows 7 Home Premium, SP 1.
This is a somewhat shortened version of what's happened: I have been having problems with Windows Explorer not working, then working. I chose "Go online for solution & restore" and all seemed well.

Then two days ago when I opened my computer, I faced an almost-blank desktop, no Start button, no Explorer folder, none of my (many) desktop shortcuts--only screensaver, Eastlink anti-virus icon & some gadgets. I couldn't open the anti-virus program; that caused the little wheel indicator next to my cursor to whirl madly for hours and, in effect, froze my computer. I tried Ctl+Alt+Del, but got "...unable to.... Press Esc or Restart button". Esc did nothing.

When I restarted, briefly there was a black screen & msj: "locking your computer" & a lock icon appeared. However, the regular sign-in screen finally did appear & I signed in. It then took hours for the desktop functions to appear (short-cut icons, Start button, etc). When I tried to access the Internet, the whirling symbol came back. Again, I was frozen.

Once again, I restarted, this time in Safe Mode. I got into a Windows Help/Support Screen, but couldn't use the options there (Chat with someone online, go to a forum, etc), because I can't get online: No connectivity or audio available. (I'm sending this from my husband's computer, btw}. I tried to print out the page, but that just brought the whirling wheel again. I could close the Support Window (and now I can't find my way back to it).

This brings me to where I am now: in Safe Mode, facing a black opening screen crammed full with BIG icons of some of my shortcuts, a white band at bottom w/ Start, Explorer, white versions of audio, connectivity icons (that don't work) and time at bottom right.

I don't know if this was merely a compounding of problems around the Explorer not working properly or whether that was resolved and there was a backlash to an update....Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what I might try next?

Desperate in Delta,
Joan.