View Single Post

Old 06-24-2013, 12:52 PM
73MustangBill 73MustangBill is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2010 64bit
Novice

73MustangBill is on a distinguished road
Default PPT with macros doesn play properly in WMV video

I have a PowerPoint 2010 .pptm presentation that uses macros to move objects, some of them based on the commanded position that I set in some off-stage text boxes, and other objects move in relation to that first object. It's all very slick, and works nicely when I'm running in SlideShow mode. In my macro, I move the Condition a tiny bit (1/50th of the total movement), then call a DoEvents to allow the system to draw it. I've even thrown in a few extra DoEvents in attempting to resolve this issue. The driven objects move slowly, as desired. However, when I convert this to a WMV video, the slow smooth movement is basically wiped out, and all you see are the initial and final positions.

An example of this can be seen here: http://youtu.be/baMmkstTpLk . In it, the Condition Lever in the upper right corner is driven by a commanded position that I read from a text box off the stage, and the position of the feather valve is driven based on the position of the Condition Lever.

Before you say that I can just animate the two items, let me point out that this is a 'simple' example. The other lever in the picture drives 4 objects, and I have other things in this picture that are not animated with this method yet, but will. Some of the movements are non-linear. I expect to use this slide dozens of times in my presentation, and trying to animate those pieces the same way every time would be a HUGE headache.

I had to use macros because I could find no other way to do relational animations, animating one object based on the position of another object, like a mechanical linkage. All PowerPoint allows is a time-based animation.

So, anyone care to suggest anything to get all of the visual effects when I generate a video? I'll also take suggestions if there is a better way to run these animations. No, Flash or another animation tool isn't desirable.

Thanks in advance,
Bill