View Single Post

Old 05-26-2013, 06:46 PM
Shauheen Shauheen is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2010 64bit
Novice

Shauheen is on a distinguished road
Default Wrong numbering in Figure/Tables' captions

I am writing a PhD thesis and require some help numbering my figures and tables. I use Word 2010 and would like Word to restart numbering of my figures and tables after each chapter (NOTafter each section). For example, captions of figures/tables in Chapter 1 should read Figure/Table 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc, and captions of figures/tables in Chapter 2 should appear as Figure/Table 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, and so on. I use the built-in Heading 1 style for chapters.

When I go through the Insert/Reference/Caption routine, the caption label and numbering seem to be fine with the correct chapter and figure numbers (I ticked the "Include chapter number" and assigned Heading 1 for "Chapter starts with style" option).
So far so good!

However, the problem is when I click OK after doing all of these settings, for some reason the Chapter number field in the caption for the desired figure/table does not appear correctly, rather it appears as "0" instead of the correct chapter number and this happens in all chapters. For example, Figures of chapter 3 are all good like 3.1 to 3.10...but starting chapter 4, Figure 4.1 appears as Figure 0.1, Figure 4.2 appears as Figure 0.2, etc. The same problem happens with tables.

Is there any suggestions to resolve this problem? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you