View Single Post

Old 02-19-2013, 11:41 PM
gopher_everett gopher_everett is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2007
Novice

gopher_everett is on a distinguished road
Default At wit's end trying understand styles for numbering/bullet levels in MS Word

Hello,

Can someone explain (with specific steps please) how to make changes (to any one or more of the nine available numbering/bullet levels in MS Word 2007) including:

• font
• font size
• font color
• indentation spacing from margin to number/bullet
• spacing after number/bullet but before text
• indentation spacing from margin to 2nd line (i.e. hanging, word wrap)
• from numbers at to bullets (at some but not all levels) and vice versa
• whatever else I have not included

and do it in such a way that those changes:

1) are applied to any existing/previous lines already at that level (if possible),
2) will be applied to new lines (i.e. created, promoted, demoted, pasted) at that level,
3) preserve the auto-numbering functionality (as it is present in default numbering)
4) do not affect levels, text or formatting, etc., at any other level.

I have been going berserk trying to: define new multilevel list levels, make changes in list styles, create new styles, link multilevel levels to existing styles and new styles, avoid confusing myself with "paragraph settings" and boxes such as "aligned at" & "Additional indent for each level" (i.e. wondering if they are absolute or relative values, etc.).

I've been to over a dozen sites via Google searches (several times thinking, "Aha, that's what I was doing wrong" but then realizing that what I was doing wrong was thinking that I had discovered what I was doing wrong). And I even went so far as to create the attached PowerPoint diagram to try to keep things straight.

In a nutshell, "AAARRRGGGHHH!!!"

If you're still with me, thanks for abiding the rant — but I do feel much better now. :P Am I the only person that is completely confused by this topic? If someone could walk me through it or even point me to yet another online answer but one that covers everything (clearly), I would be extremely grateful.

Many thanks.

PS I could not even figure out how to use the numbering and bullets on this post so I had to insert them manually. (I'm really glad no one knows my true identity [because I'd be really embarrassed facing the people at work] but here's a hint: my initials are WHG [III] and many years ago, I founded a company called Microsoft.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Numbering & Styles flowsheet.jpg (107.5 KB, 13 views)