View Single Post

Old 10-23-2012, 01:14 PM
MCF MCF is offline Windows XP Office 2007
Novice

MCF is on a distinguished road
Default Paragraph space before issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom View Post
"Spacing before" is suppressed at the top of the page, assuming that the paragraph doesn't appear at the beginning of a new document or at the beginning of a new section. If the style also includes "Page break before" formatting, the spacing won't be suppressed.

The compatibility option "Suppress Space Before after a hard page or column break" (I'm assuming that's the one you are referring to) controls what happens when there is a manual page or column break present.

When a paragraph with "Spacing after" precedes a paragraph with "Spacing before," the larger of the two values will determine the spacing between the paragraphs.

If you select the "Don't use HTML paragraph auto spacing" compatibility option the two values for spacing will be added instead.

I'm not clear if this can be changed, from this answer.

I'm working with a designer to create a template for a client that has a Style with a 15 before and 15 after spacing. At the top of the next page the 15 before is null, even when a page break or section break is inserted on the previous page (prefer not to have either, but looking for a fix!). The only way I've been able to reinstate the 15 pt spacing is to enter a hard return, but then the opposite problem occurs - too much spacing at top of page.

Is there a way to un-suppress this autoformat? I've been all over formatting/auto formatting windows and can't find a fix (Word 2007).

Any help appreciated. I consider myself experienced in Word (15 years), until something like this happens.

Thanks,
Maureen

Last edited by MCF; 10-23-2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: to clarify my question; I want to keep the spacing intact