View Single Post

Old 10-12-2012, 04:17 AM
Geza59 Geza59 is offline Windows XP Office 2003
Novice

Geza59 is on a distinguished road

grizz:

Thank you for the modifications! Where I made the mistake was, that when I created a list, I highlighted the whole table instead of just the first columns.

You also helped me with the "#N/A" annoyance in unused cells - without asking for it -, indeed it made the whole page look full of errors, I just thought, I'll have to live with it.

Speaking of annoyances, there are two more, that it would be nice to correct.

One is that if I enter a word in the 1st column that doesn't exist in the look up table , I get ### in the 2nd column and #N/A in the 3rd one. How can I change the code, so that it will ignore such words in the 1st column and as a result leave the 2nd and 3rd column cells empty?

The other annoyance is that some of the items in the 1st column of the look up table does not have any data in its corresponding 2nd and 3rd column, as a result if I choose this item on the spreadsheet, the result is a zero in the 2nd and 3rd column of the spreadsheet. It would be nice to have the code not adding zeros to these columns in such instances.

I also have question about the IF condition of the code, that I couldn't found an answer on by searching through Google:

=IF($D97="";"";INDEX(...

What is the meaning of the expression of semicolon between double quotes?

My guess is, that it means "If $D97 equals to any item of the list (or anything except nothing)

...so how does one come up with the underlined code?

Pecoflyer:

Thank you for the array version, it works. Would you please, explain to me what is the advantage of doing this Excel coding with an array? (So, that I will know which one to use in the future.)