View Single Post

Old 10-09-2012, 04:06 AM
Jennifer Murphy Jennifer Murphy is offline Windows XP Office 2007
Competent Performer

Jennifer Murphy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by macropod View Post
If you simply insert a picture, it's embedded in the document and no links to the source file are maintained.

If you link to a file, Word can update the displayed image when the source file's content changes. However, if the source file can't be found (eg because you've emailed the file to someone), Word will display an empty box (probably of a different size) instead.

If you insert and link, Word can update the displayed image when the source file's content changes. However, if the source file can't be found, Word should display the last version of the image.
For 1 and 2, I think that's what I said. Are you saying something different?

For #3, I think I said that I thought that's how it should work, but it doesn't.

I created three little image files: test1.png, test2.png, test3.png.

In a Word 2007 doc, I inserted test1 with Insert, test2 with Link to File, and test3 with Insert and Link. All three images appeared correctly.

I then renamed all three image files, selected the whole document (C-A), then updated fields (F9). The first image was still there, but both test2 and test3 were replaced with a message saying that the link was bad.

So I ask again: What's the difference between Link to File and Insert and Link?