View Single Post

Old 10-04-2012, 06:18 PM
mark99k mark99k is offline Windows 7 32bit Office 2010 32bit
Novice

mark99k is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmo View Post
Here is my solution:
Launch Word and click the Office button in the top left.
Click Word options at the bottom of that menu.
Click Add ins on the left.
Click the Go button for COM add ins
Remove the checkmark for Bluetooth **(see options below if not allowed)
Click OK and close out of word.
Launch Word and problem should be gone.

** If you cannot remove the checkmark, you need to launch Word as an Administrator. To do this, close out of Word, find the executable in Program files\Microsoft\Office\Winword.exe or Word.exe and right click. Choose run as Administrator.

If this works and I have saved you lots of time and stress, sign up for an account and post a reply with loads of gratitude and well wishes.
Grantmo, you're a GOD. I found your post after reading about 40 others, and shortly after assembling screenshots of all of the Word option settings from two seemingly identical machines, one getting this infuriating prompt and one not. I'd intended to spend all evening poring over both sets, to deduce the answer -- which would have been fruitless. THANK YOU for posting the solution. May the wind be always at your back.

It's profoundly embarrassing to this Word ubergeek that the basic idea for the fix never occurred to me. The rule of thumb for investigating peculiar behavior in Word is always to first disable all add-ins and then (assuming the addin-free Word behaves properly) reenable them one by one to pinpoint the culprit. But since I write only VBA add-ins & not COM add-ins, I would never have thought to look at the latter. I will now, always!