Thread: [Solved] Endnotes within Footnotes?
View Single Post

Old 09-04-2012, 03:39 PM
elias elias is offline Windows 7 32bit Office 2010 32bit
Novice

elias is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by macropod View Post
I think you've mis-read what I wrote. Footnotes and endnotes are fine in themselves, used appropriately. Footnotes and endnotes having their own footnotes and endnotes is (AFAIK) nowehere accepted in the academic or technical realms, and footnotes and endnotes are certainly not accepted for the putposes espoused in the links you posted.
Ah, I see, of course, sorry if I sounded brash. In fiction, footnotes and endnotes work a little different--they usually are just as vital as the main text: they serve to get across a feeling of digression, recursion, et cetera. At least, that's how I'm wishing to use them. Maybe if I explained my project it'd be a bit more clear.

In my novel there's a chapter presented as a short story written by one of the main characters, a story written in third person and with endnotes commenting on various things.

That short story stars a character who is writing his own novel , and his novel has footnotes.

So there are several layers: I'm writing a story about a character writing a story about a character writing a story. There's a lot of recursion and bending inward, etc.

So if maybe the footnote function within Word may not help, like I asked just above, is there no ad hoc way to turn certain text into 'links'?