View Single Post

Old 08-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Endzone Endzone is offline Windows XP Office 2003
Novice

Endzone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Kenyon View Post
A backup of your customizations is a very good idea. They are not all stored in normal.dot, though! Here is a list for Word 2007 & 2010: https://www.msofficeforums.com/word/...locations.html
For Word 2003 see What Files Do I Need to Backup? (or where does Word store all my customizations?) by Dave Rado, MVP and Brenda Hutton

You can also store your macros and many customizations in a different global template so you don't have to worry about normal.dot having to be reset. This is also a better way to share customizations with others. You would want a backup of that file.

Again, you can't transfer the normal.dot file directly from Word 2003 to a later version. You can use it, you just can't use it to replace normal.dotm.
Thanks for that link. I actually found that doing a Google search. I did go to Tools\Options\Save and check the box to prompt to save the normal.dot file. I think all my templates though are in App Data\Microsoft\templates. Here's the folder. I don't know of any other templates I have. The macros were the most work, and I believe they are in the normal.dot file. I do have a couple of letter templates, but they are stored in the same place as all my letter files. The template was not saved as a template either. I just make a macro to open the template (file) and insert the date automatically. I guess I did that wrong huh? It can get pretty confusing. I set the template (regular file) to promp for read only though. Then there is a global template. I only use style sheets on certain documents. I'm a rookie, and home use is all I need. If I worked in an office doing this all day long, I would learn much more about it. Apologies for hijacking the thread.

Thanks for the assistance.