View Single Post

Old 08-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline Windows Vista Office 2010 32bit

Charles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endzone View Post
I think it's a good idea to make a copy of the normal.dot file or whatever its equivalent is in word 2010. Mine got corrupted somehow, and I had to redo the macros. If it ever goes bad, just delete it out of there and pop in the copied file in its place. Would that work?
A backup of your customizations is a very good idea. They are not all stored in normal.dot, though! Here is a list for Word 2007 & 2010: https://www.msofficeforums.com/word/...locations.html
For Word 2003 see What Files Do I Need to Backup? (or where does Word store all my customizations?) by Dave Rado, MVP and Brenda Hutton

You can also store your macros and many customizations in a different global template so you don't have to worry about normal.dot having to be reset. This is also a better way to share customizations with others. You would want a backup of that file.

Again, you can't transfer the normal.dot file directly from Word 2003 to a later version. You can use it, you just can't use it to replace normal.dotm.