View Single Post

Old 08-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline Windows Vista Office 2010 32bit

Charles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endzone View Post
In windows XP go to My Computer/Control Panel. Then click on Folder Options. Then click on View and select "Show hidden files & folder".

Then go to C:\Documents & Settings\your_user_name\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates. There you will find the normal file along with any other templates.

I would just copy them all and paste them into the corresponding folder in Word 2010. I'm not sure why you were told to rename the normal file or to put it in a startup folder. Maybe Word 2010 does not have the same directories that Word 2003 does. But in word 2003, it will only recognize the normal.dot file as the default template which includes your macros. If you rename it to something as normal.old, word will not recognize it--at least it won't in Word 2003.
Word 2003 and 2010 use different file structures. You do not want to use a Word 2003 normal.dot as a Word 2010 normal.dotm. It will cause problems.

You rename the normal.dot to avoid confusion. A good name would be normal2003.dot. If it is placed in the Word Startup Folder all AutoText and macros in it will be available to every document.

To original poster: You may want to use Greg Maxey's building blocks utility to move the AutoText from your old normal.dot to your new normal.dotm. That way you will be able to use the pop-up tool-tips for the AutoText. Building Blocks & AutoText
I know that this isn't the simplicity you asked for. The first instructions you got from Stefan are the best simple instructions you are likely to find.