Thread: [Solved] Calculating earned value
View Single Post

Old 08-09-2012, 01:37 PM
ketanco ketanco is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2007
Expert

ketanco is on a distinguished road
Default Calculating earned value

Hello,
How do you calculate the earned value of the activities?
Here is what I did before the job started months ago:
I had entered the total costs of activities, so I have a lump sum cost for activities. I then went to task usage tab and I have the costs and cumulative cost rows displayed against dates there so I was able to see the planned and cumulative planned values. I even pasted the dates and values as two rows into excel and made a nice S-Curve…
But how about actual earned values versus the dates now, based on the current progress? We are in the middle of the job now and there are finished activities, there are activities between 0-100 % and there are activities has not started yet. They asked me for instance to give the earned value in July, based on progress (as I said, lump sum costs for activities were already entered before)

Does the task usage column distribute costs against current start and finish dates (i.e. start and finish columns)? If so, the distribution I made months ago before job started and when I saved my baseline has gone now and what I am seeing is the earned value? Is that the case? (because I see costs vs current start and finish dates now by default I believe)

Note: I never updated any costs or entered actual costs. All I am after is to calculate the earned values, not actuals.
Thanks in advance and sorry for the long question