View Single Post

Old 08-03-2012, 09:37 AM
zi1 zi1 is offline Windows 7 32bit Office 2003
Novice

zi1 is on a distinguished road
Default Units not properly updated after a Finish Date Change

Hi all,
I hope someone will be able to clarify this for me:
I am using Project to track work and schedule.
Let's say I have a task (type = Fixed work) that has 8 hours of work and 1 resource allocated at 100% units and the calendar working time is 8hours per day. Let's say the resource has spent 8 hours, but still has 4 more hours of work, and that he tells me he will be able to finish it only 2 days from today.
What I do then is update the actual hours with 8, and update the remaining hours with 4. Then, since my resource is 100% allocated, Ms Project calculates that it would finish the work tomorrow. However, I know the resource won't be able to finish it only the day after. So, what I do is update the Finish Date to the day after using the Assignment Information Dialog Box (Task Usage > Uncollapse the task > Double-click on the resource Name).
In this scenario, I would expect to see the Units for my resource automatically get recalculated by Ms Project. However, what I see now, is a resource that is 100% allocated, even though the amount of work scheduled for each day is less than 8 hours.
Anyone could please help clarify why I am seeing such behavior, is it expected? If so, how should I update my project plan in that scenario? Would updating the units instead of Finish date, until I reach the finish date I am expecting be the solution?
Thanks for your help,
Zi.