View Single Post

Old 07-26-2012, 04:49 PM
ahrinn ahrinn is offline Windows XP Office 2007
Novice

ahrinn is on a distinguished road
Default Random number difficulties

Hello,
This is a rather lengthy problem, so please bear with me. I am working on creating a document with two random number fields. I have used excel's "RAND" command to create the random number itself ( 6 digit integers from 000000 to 999999 ) and have inserted the cell as an object to my word document. I have two fields needing this number ( one on each page ). My problem is that I need the number to be the same in each field. If I insert the object onto both pages, I get two separate numbers. I tried copying the cell and pasting it to my document as a link to the original excel workbook. This helps to a point, so long as I have both files open at the same time. Then I can recalculate in Excel, print in word, and repeat the process several times. If I close either document, though, I fail to get a new number, or the numbers don't match in the two fields. Ideally, I'd like to end up with a two page document that I can set to print a couple hundred copies with a different number on each copy, but the same number on each two page set. For example page one has "123456" and page two has "123456," then the next print of page one would have "321465" and page two would have the same "321465". I hope to end up with several unique two page sets, so that upon distribution, I can give page one to my clerk and page two to my client and they each have the same number at the bottom. The next set would have a different number for the new client. I'm not even sure if this is possible in office or how to accomplish it if it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I hope that this made sense.