View Single Post

Old 07-06-2012, 08:57 AM
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline Windows Vista Office 2010 32bit

Charles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateattat View Post
Hi All.

At work, I regularly use a document full of tables.
Each table is labelled "table 1, table 2, table 3" etc. Using the AutoNum function.

I now have a need to group these tables into sections and assign them a unique ID in the following format:

s1_t010
(section 1, table 1)

Ideally the section number will be pulled from the Heading number in that section and the table number will increase in 10s.

Is this possible? if so, how?
I would use Insert Field > StyleRef to insert the heading number and Insert Field > Seq to insert table number. You can format your sequence to be in increments of 10.

It does have the advantage that once you write the field you can copy and paste it elsewhere and have it update. You'll have to restart your sequence with each heading.

This is far from perfect and someone else may have a better method. It is close to perfect if you don't want the table numbers to restart.