Thread: [Solved] division zero escape?
View Single Post

Old 05-21-2009, 01:36 PM
gmyls gmyls is offline Windows XP Office XP
Novice

gmyls is on a distinguished road
Default division zero escape?

Hello friends!
I'm new here and I have a little problem in my Excel worksheet.

I want to know if there is a way to , by setting the value of e.g A1 to zero, inactivate terms in a formula containing/related to this specific field A1 ?

Let us say that I have a formula giving me the time for a procedure depending on some preset values in other fields.
it could look like this
e.g C20

=C3*C4*C5*(C6/C7+C8+C9)

where c3,c4,c5 are constants and the terms inside the brackets are some functions that CAN become divided by zero.

E.G the C8 might be a function depending on the value in field A1, however, in my case there will only be values on one of the terms inside the brackets at the same time.
It could look like this C3*C4*C5*(C6/C7+C8+C9)
orC3*C4*C5*(C6/C7+C8+C9) or C3*C4*C5*(C6/C7+C8+C9)
where the red marked functions I wish to be "inactivated" if there is a zero in a specific field.

This wish comes from the fact that this funtion describes the procedure when building a brick-wall. In the procedure I've isolated three kinds of different operations (like where you put the brick) and they all contribute to the time-elapse in different ways.
However, like I mentioned before, there is only one kind of operation taking place at the same time. But I still want them all to be included in the same formula just that I want them to be omitted if I tell a certain filed: be zero!

So the question again: can a term in a formula be omitted from the calculation eventhough it still stands visible in the formula? (e.g. by telling a field connected to the term to be zero) can for example the term become grey-marked? I've heard that that is a sign of inactivation?

glad for help!
Sincerely gmyls!

(if it would be to any help I can Email the worksheet)