Thread: [Solved] Formatting with macros
View Single Post

Old 05-15-2012, 05:55 AM
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline Windows Vista Office 2010 32bit

Charles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltR View Post
The only way I know to make macros is to record them through the Developer tab, so I wouldn't know how to do it from just the code, at this point anyway. I've got a book with a couple of chapters on writing macros in Word so I might check it out.

One of the best ways I've found to learn vba is to look at code written by a very good programmer and try stepping through it to see what it does.
The code put together by the macro recorder can be a start but it is never well written. Many functions in Word cannot be captured by the recorder.

In case you haven't guessed, Paul is a very good programmer.

A very good book IMHO is
Writing Word Macros by Steve Roman, from O'Reilly even though I think it was written for Word 2000.

As far a s time goes, if you need macros to do your work, try investing an hour a week in learning. It will repay you very quickly.

Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 05-15-2012 at 05:57 AM. Reason: clean up formatting