View Single Post

Old 05-16-2009, 07:31 AM
zyzzyva57 zyzzyva57 is offline Windows 7 32bit Office 2007
Expert

zyzzyva57 is on a distinguished road

As I continue on my journey to get MCAS certified in Office products, I find this way useful:
  • Bombard yourself with information — Don’t try to slowly digest the material you’re trying to learn; immerse yourself in it. Read it quickly, so that you’re drowned by it. [I use my online Flashcards to build up this point with Excel (as I did when I became certified in Word]--After Excel, I will move to PowerPoint
  • Identify the key concepts and make them yours — Try to comprehend the Big Picture. Don’t worry about the details. Recognize the broad overview so that you can understand the fundamentals of the subject.
  • Only memorize what absolutely has to be memorized — Don’t fret over details that can be referenced later. Most subjects have specific facts that you must know. Learn them. But don’t worry about details that can be obtained through reference works when needed.
  • Get some feedback on your understanding — Find some sort of comprehensive practice exam and take it. You will probably do poorly, but from your results you’ll be able to tell what you learned and what slipped your mind. Try to correct your mistakes as soon as possible.
  • Bombard yourself with some more information, but from another source — This is the key step. Find some other source — not necessarily another textbook — and use it to glean as much information as possible. Maybe use multiple sources. Try to focus on your weak points after your first reading. [YouTube is amazing with the help it provides]
  • Get some real-world feedback — Find a community fluent in the knowledge you’ve tried to learn. See how well you fit in. For example, if you’ve tried to learn a language, see how well you can interact with others who speak the smae language. [I read online forums, such as here]

Work Cited