Thread: organize files
View Single Post

Old 05-01-2012, 05:32 AM
userman userman is offline Windows XP Office 2003
Advanced Beginner

userman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by macropod View Post
No. 2 depends on how the data in the text files are formatted (eg each specification on a separate line).
the text file is a simple txt file (so no special character/paragraph format) with 10-15 lines of text, one below the other (seperated by newlines)

each line of the text file is 2-5 alphanumeric (maybe with some commas and -'s in them) words seperated by space

Quote:
It is also not clear from your post what you mean by a file, cell or a sub-cell.
by document/file I mean some pdf files that will be stored inside the relevant cells (eg a pdf of the cautions of product 1, a pdf of the usage directions of product 4, etc)
*not to be confused with the text file that I mentioned above

by cell, I mean the regular EXCEL cell, that in my case, will contain a specific pdf (for example the cell in row for PRODUCT2, under column CAUTIONS, will contain the pdf of the cautions of product 2)

by subcell, I mean the cells that will result, after splitting the cell under column SPECIFICATIONS for the row of a product

the splitting procedure will be automatic, I will just "somehow load" the text file, and then EXCEL will split that cell into a number of cells, according to each line of the text file

by "load" I dont mean I will store that text file into that cell, I will just give the directions to EXCEL, in how many subcells it must split that cell, and how to name each of the resulting cells (each line of the text file must have its relevant subcell, and the "label" of the subcell will be the text of the line, then I will store one pdf file to each of these subcells)

Quote:
Are you trying to embed whole files in a cell, or just a piece of information about a file (eg its name).
I will embed a (one) whole file in each cell

hope this helps

PS:
I think by explaining my whole project, I make it complicated, so I sum up my goal, without mentioning products, pdfs, etc:

- what I basicaly want is to split a specific cell into a number of cells and each of the resulting cells to have a text in them
- now, how EXCEL will know in how many cells to split and which text to place in each resulting text?
- it will find the all the necessary info in a simple text file of text lines seperated by "newlines"
- the number of the cells will be the number of text lines of the text file
- the text inside each resulting text will be each of the text lines of the text file

thanks