View Single Post

Old 04-01-2012, 03:29 PM
berserker berserker is offline Windows XP Office 2000
Novice

berserker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by macropod View Post
Hi berserker,

Unecessarily editing the Registry isn't a wise thing to do and I'm not sure what the value of this is, given that you can set the recent-document count to 0 for any version of any Office program. And yes, you'd need to change the path reference for other Office versions.
Hello Macropod.

Setting the recent-document count to 0 (at least for Office 2000) just hides the recent files list from the user in the Office program interface. The office programs still create the files on disk when a document is opened.

I don't want the files being created at all - they are annoying and a security/privacy risk (if you're wondering, I don't use the "cloud" either.)

(I shouldn't have to run cleanup programs, scripts, or batches to correct what shouldn't be an issue in the first place. Also I use Everything - a real time disk indexer/searcher to find most of my documents prior to editing, and I see the .lnk recent document shortcut files appearing every time I open a document with an office program - it messes with my workflow as it bumps and confuses the searchlist in realtime.

The simple regedit fixes all the above.