View Single Post

Old 03-12-2012, 11:55 PM
wornways wornways is offline Windows Vista Office 2007
Novice

wornways is on a distinguished road
Default Word 2007: Automatically left-justified centered table or column?

Here's one for the books. Some of you may be familiar with the HTML means of centering a column of text using the <table> tags:

Code:
<table align="centered"><tbody><tr><td>
... column of text ...
</td></tr></tbody></table>
Okay, so if it can be done in HTML, sure it should be possible in Word, right?

But I can't figure it out. What I want to do is to create a template that contains some placeholder text in a centered table. The templating I've got. I can do templates. I'm the Template King. I love templates.

But the creation of a centered table? That's another story.

Here is what I am envisioning. I want a centered table that automatically expands its width to the width of the text, and if the text becomes wide enough to wrap, then the width of the page. However, the table remains centered as the text is typed in. Might seem a little distracting to some people for it to work this way, but for me it would be completely natural. The column would contain poems, so lines should rarely--if ever--wrap. The table/column itself would be and dynamically remain centered while the content within the table would be left-justified relative to the table itself. As text is entered, the table expands in width and dynamically recenters itself relative to page margins.

Is this too much to ask? Or is this possible within Word?

Thanks in advance.