View Single Post

Old 02-07-2012, 11:29 AM
bpercival bpercival is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2010 64bit
Novice

bpercival is on a distinguished road
Default "Grow a document' with text automatically added to new page

Is there a way to Is there a way to create a page 'part' automatically in word or is there a way to make a document 'grow' with templated text automatically inserted?

I have a word doc that has a series of questions and answers that are eventually typed in. There are also line numbers that restart on every new page down the left side. What I need to do is when someone inserts a new page, a 'template' of this page is inserted. so, each page currently starts out like:

1 Question
3 Answer
6 Question
8 Answer
10 Question
12 Answer
14 Question

And end up being:

1 Question This is the start of my question and will continue
2 on additional lines if the person writing this question
3 needs for space for the question
6 Answer This is the answer to the question and the lines
7 will continue as I need in order to completely
8 answer this question.
10 Question This is the next question. There can be any number of
11 questions on a page but the numbers starts all over if this goes to
12 another page.

Right now I have 40 pages of the first part (the numbers and either 'Question' or 'Answer' (nothing filled in). A person has to tab over on every line to write the question. If they hit 'enter', the next item (item "Answer" or "Question" moves down a line but the line numbers stay static on the left side. Then have to keep tabbing over and adding to either the question or answer. When they are done, they have to delete all the extra pages that were not used.

Ultimately, it would be great to be able to have a page with the line numbers static on the left side and be able to 'Insert New Question" or "Insert New Answer" on any line and the person can just type the question/answer and it all stays nice and tidy to the right side.

If that's not possible, is there a way to make a document 'grow' with templated text automatically inserted?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian