View Single Post

Old 01-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Jamal NUMAN Jamal NUMAN is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2010 64bit
Expert

Jamal NUMAN is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Legg View Post
There are quite a few different ways to get the data from the CSV file into Excel.

When the data from the CSV file is imported, you may or may not need to tell Excel that it should use a comma delimiter. That is, each time Excel sees a comma in the CSV file, it understands that it has to put the subsequent data into a separate column. If no delimiter is used then Excel will just dump each entire line into the 1st column in the spreadsheet.

If you open the file within windows explorer then the comma delimiter will automatically be used so you will get the screenshot 2 result.
The same is true if you open the file in Excel by going File > Open.

If you import the CSV file by going Data > From Text then you need to be a bit more careful because you have to tell it to use a comma delimiter. The text import wizard will appear -
  • On Step 1 make sure Delimited is chosen
  • On Step 2 make sure that Comma delimiter (not Tab) is chosen
If you forget to do this and Excel puts everything in a single column then all is not lost. You can use the text to columns utility to split the data out.

Does that help?
thank you Colin for the answer.

The problem that i sometimes get the file open as in screenshot 1 and others as in screenshots 2 knowing that i use the same way to open the file (whether from the explorer or from the File>open in excel as shown in the attached screenshots)! this is why i got confused! same way to open the file but different format obtained! sometimes!

what might be behind this behavior?

Just in case i get them as in screenshot 1, is there away to have them converted to be like the format in screenshot 2?

regards

Jamal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clip_292.jpg (65.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Clip_291.jpg (89.9 KB, 9 views)