View Single Post

Old 01-19-2012, 06:48 AM
MartinD_UK MartinD_UK is offline Windows XP Office 2007
Novice

MartinD_UK is on a distinguished road

Hi Paul

Thanks for your reply. The information to which you linked solved my problem #2 - I downloaded the recommended utility for automatically clicking 'yes' on the Outlook warnings.

However, it didn't solve my problem #1. I followed the instructions to the letter, and successfully ran the macro which e-mailed each address in the data source with the required merged message in the body of the e-mail, and added the Word document as an attachment.

The problem is, it didn't merge the attached Word document - it just sent the raw mail merge document with all the field codes etc in it.

To re-cap, what I want to do is: send a mail merge to e-mail, with a merged message in the body of the e-mail (or, failing that, any message at all in the body of the e-mail) *and* a *merged* Word document as an attachment. I'm surprised to find this is quite such an endeavour - I would have thought this was the kind of thing people would want to do all the time!

As an alternative, the method described in the information to which you linked would work, if it were possible to merge the Word document in advance to individually-named separate files. If I could name them using a field in the data source, I could then add the .doc (or .docx) extension to the contents of that field and add the field to the directory file for the e-mail merge, so the merged document relevant to each recipient would get attached to their mail. However, I don't know of a way to merge a Word document to separate files: when you merge to letters, you get one long document. Is there a way?

I would be grateful for any enlightenment you, or anyone else, can offer.

Thanks again for your reply, and best wishes,

Martin