Thread: [Solved] Hard space in justified text
View Single Post

Old 12-14-2011, 09:24 PM
macropod macropod is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2010 32bit
Administrator

macropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Peter,

Hard-spacing really should only be used to keep together things that shouldn't be separated; for example, a hyphen followng a word (someword - anotherword) or, perhaps to keep honorifics and names together (Mr Smith). Few would quibble over the spacing in such circumstances. I typically leave these kinds of refinement till I've finished editing, then use Find/Replace to ensure they're incorporated throughout the document.

Hard-spacing shouldn't be used to keep together words that needn't be on the same line for readability (eg: my friend). Using Ctrl-Enter can cause problems if you decide to edit the paragraph after doing so, as the manual line break could end up in the wrong logical place.