View Single Post

Old 11-13-2011, 06:48 PM
JonathanPDX JonathanPDX is offline Windows XP Office 2007
Novice

JonathanPDX is on a distinguished road

And that's usually good advice, Stefan. However, CHKDSK does more than check a disk for damaged sectors.
It also checks file indexes among other things, and problems such as a bad write to the disk that fail a CRC check
(or whatever method of verification the system uses). Indexes get messed up all the time, especially in a Windows
environment, and running CHKDSK will allow the system to verify those indexes and rebuild them as necessary.
As much as we'd like our computers to be infallible, they simply are not. A sudden power off or hiccup or an ill-timed
whack on the side of the system case can cause problems.

According to Microsoft: "CHKDSK examines disk space and disk use for the file allocation table (FAT) and NTFS file
systems.
CHKDSK provides information specific to each file system in a status report. The status report shows
errors found in the file system. If you run
CHKDSK without the /f command-line option on an active partition,
it might report spurious errors because it cannot lock the drive. You should use
CHKDSK occasionally on each
disk to check for errors.
" (Emphasis is mine.)

I've had the good fortune of working with MS-DOS since version 2.0 and Windows since version 1.0 and CHKDSK has
saved me from many a problem, especially on systems that have had the operating system installed for more than a
year. The longer the span of time an operating system is run without being reloaded from scratch, the greater your
chances of problems occurring.

I appreciate your comments.