View Single Post

Old 11-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Hickory Hickory is offline Windows XP Office 2003
Novice

Hickory is on a distinguished road
Default "Not enough memory or disk space" problem

Hi, all. Thanks for letting me join. I was working on a Word doc (Word 2003, Win XP, older computer with 12 GB free on its 80 GD HDD, 2 GB of RAM). I was pasting a number of images into the document, when it stopped responding to my keyboard. I could use the mouse to place the cursor, but could not add text, delete, backspace, etc.

I closed everything down and rebooted. Now when I try to open the doc, I get a message in the lower left corner of the screen that "Word is converting [my filename]," and when the progress bar gets to the end, I get an error message that "There is not enough memory or disk space to complete the operation." The file is about 500kb so I don't think that is literally the reason; I think the file got corrupted somehow. I have tried opening it in OpenOffice, Wordpad, Notepad, and a few other editors to no avail, and I have tried "Open and Repair" with the same result.

I suspect I am doomed and will have to create the doc again from scratch, but I hoped someone might have a brilliant suggestion.

Thank you in advance.