View Single Post

Old 09-06-2011, 07:39 PM
GeoB GeoB is offline Windows XP Office 2007
Novice

GeoB is on a distinguished road

I've reviewed the MS article on doing a category sorted merge and, after several hours, have not solved the problem of getting multiple records for each unique key. Attached is my main document and some sample data (from Office 2010). I'd greatly appreciate some pointers on how best to modify the main document. (I'm hoping the intended result is evident from the main doc.)

Here are the three e-mails generated in my test environment, using the main document as most recently posted. I'd removed an unnecessary "=" and a redundant mergefield block.

1:
Albert,

We recently sent an e-mail, telling you about volunteer opportunities Bogusville Inc has listed at Mr. Physics that will expire at the end of the month. Expired listings cease to appear on the website. If you would like these opportunities to remain active, please contact us at your earliest convenience.

Opportunity: Relativity
Phone: 111.555.1212
Expiration: 9/30/2011

2:
Richard,

We recently sent an e-mail, telling you about volunteer opportunities Alternate Universe Corp. has listed at Mr. Physics that will expire at the end of the month. Expired listings cease to appear on the website. If you would like these opportunities to remain active, please contact us at your earliest convenience.

Richard,

We recently sent an e-mail, telling you about volunteer opportunities Alternate Universe Corp. has listed at Mr. Physics that will expire at the end of the month. Expired listings cease to appear on the website. If you would like these opportunities to remain active, please contact us at your earliest convenience.

Opportunity: Quantum Electrodynamics
Phone: 111.555.2121

3:
Richard,

Opportunity: Quark Soup
Phone: 111.555.2121

I've reached the conclusion "you can't get there from here". It appears that sending e-mails from a Word merge causes every record to have MERGESEQ = 1 and every record to generate an e-mail.

Unless someone has a clever work-around in Word merge codes, I'll have to write some VBA code at the originating database (with tables linked to an online db) to create a new table with a field containing text from the multiple records for each organization.

Thanks for listening!

George
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx SampleData.xlsx (9.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: docx MergeMain.docx (17.0 KB, 12 views)