Thread: Speed pains
View Single Post

Old 03-24-2024, 07:23 AM
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline Windows 11 Office 2021

Charles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRB View Post
First tof all I want to thank everybody for the attention and assistance.

>>What are you using the section breaks to do?

The book is divided up into many chapters (about 100) which at its beginning has a section break. chapters to start on odd pages and differ in their heading. So I thought this is the natural way to do that.
This is a good reason to be using them.
It does, though, add to the complexity of the file.

If the only reason is the odd-page break, you could use a variant of the field that adds a page break when at the end of an odd-page. Its purpose is to create a real page before an odd-page break so that it can have a header/footer.
See: Is there an automatic way to create a non-blank, even-numbered page at the end of a chapter, if the chapter would otherwise end on an odd page? by John McGhie, MVP.

Quote:
>>What happens when you disable all add-ins?
When you try editing the document in safe mode?
Open Office apps in safe mode on a Windows PC - Microsoft Office
Safe mode is a diagnostic, not a way to routinely use Word.

This gets the award. I ran Word in safe mode and also switched to draft view and while everything looks ugly it is working at fast speed. Is there anything I should be "careful about" when using Word in [safe] mode?

So in the lack of a more elegant solution, I will stick with this for the meanwhile..

Thank again
Hi Susan,
That working in safe mode speeds things up is a diagonostic indicator. It helps us figure out where the problem is.

Safe mode:
  1. Turns off all Add-Ins.
  2. Works from Word's defaults rather than any settings in your normal.dotm.
  3. Except in an emergency, is not a way to use Word to get work done.
Try renaming your Normal.dotm and see if doing that gives you the benefit of safe mode. If it does, write back. Where is the Normal Template / How to Find the Normal Template.

If it does not, the problem is one or more Add-Ins. You need to disable them all. Then enable them, one at a time, to find out the source of the problem.

Using Draft view is the classic way of speeding up Word. Yes, it takes some getting used to. I seldom use it.