View Single Post

Old 03-10-2024, 09:35 AM
SteveTheWriter SteveTheWriter is offline Windows 10 Office 2013
Novice

SteveTheWriter is on a distinguished road
Default Need Problem Fix: When VISIO 2013 starts, it is starting EVERY installer on my system

I have VISIO 2013 running under Windows 10. After years of working fine, I have a sudden major glitch. When I start the program, it tries to run every last single installer on my system. Everything, in alphabetical order. I can't actually get into the program to run it, because installers keep popping up.

I tried uninstalling VISIO and reinstalling. That did not fix the problem.

When I run VISIO in Safe mode, it starts and works fine. But of course I lose a bunch of routine Windows and VISIO features. If I then exit and restart in normal mode, I get the same problem again.

I tried running VISIO in compatibility mode (Win 7). It did not fix the problem. I tried running VISIO in Administrator mode. It starts by asking if I'll allow VISIO to make changes to the computer? If I say 'yes', I get the same problem. If I say 'No', then VISIO doesn't start at all.

I do not have this problem with any of my other Office 2013 programs. (I am running Office in 64 bit mode.)

I notice when I uninstall VISIO and then skim through the system registry, there are a tone of VISIO keys that remain behind. Maybe one of them is the problem. Is there a program that will really do a total, clean uninstall of VISIO? Or can someone recommend a particular magic key that needs to be fixed or removed?

If this is of any help, the very first "bad" dialog box I get when I start VISIO (in normal mode) is 'Component MSADODC.OCX or one of its dependencies not registered correctly: a file is missing or invalid."

Any help/advice is appreciated. (I am thinking of simply updating to VISIO 2016, but I hate to do that -- every upgrade seems to come with changes I don't like. And besides, I'm not sure if I can do that without updating all of Office to 2016).