View Single Post

Old 02-26-2024, 02:21 PM
Shauna Thompson Shauna Thompson is offline Windows 11 Office 2021
Novice

Shauna Thompson is on a distinguished road
Default Reference numbered appendix entries in the body of my report so they auto update with list edits

I am creating a report that includes an appendix with multiple numbered entries.

Appendix entries to be referenced.png

The appendix entries are automatically renumbered as they are edited, and I use these numbers as references within the body of the report.

referencing entries in body of report.png

I need to refer to specific appendix entries in the body of the report, but since the appendix evolves (i.e., entries are added/deleted/edited) as I work on the report, the ref. numbers I manually enter in the beginning are often WRONG by the time the report is done, so I have to waste time going through to check every number and entry to make sure they match up correctly (awful process!!).
  • the reference is usually made at the end of a bulleted note to direct the reader to the full entry in the appendix
  • many of the readers are old school and will read a paper copy of the report, so the solution needs to work on paper (i.e., hyperlinks won't work)

Is there a way I can do this so the number/point of reference in the body of the report automatically updates when/if the entries are changed in the appendix?

Thanks in advance for your help!