View Single Post

Old 06-29-2023, 06:24 AM
kilroyscarnival kilroyscarnival is offline Windows 10 Office 2021
Expert

kilroyscarnival is just really nicekilroyscarnival is just really nicekilroyscarnival is just really nicekilroyscarnival is just really nice

Presuming it was simply a "number stored as text" issue, I tried refreshing the cells. Didn't change those few problem ones towards the bottom.

I selected column A and changed the date format to d-mmm-yyyy. All but that handful changed displayed formats accordingly. I then added a column to the right and typed in some dates. When I (American) attempted to input the dates with the European date order (23/03/2023) it just went in as typed, didn't pick up the formatting I'd applied. When I typed it in in American order (3/23/23) it displayed as "23-Mar-2023." It leads me to believe that the items that aren't looking right are coming from a system that doesn't default to the same date format the rest of the data has. Different separators, perhaps, or an American format?

There is a formula you can use to essentially flip the date and month digits in Excel without using Power Query; it seems to work on those left-justifying figures, but makes the other ones go completely wrong. It's

Code:
=DATE(VALUE(RIGHT(C2,4)), VALUE(MID(C2,4,2)), VALUE(LEFT(C2,2)))
and you could then paste those values back. But, agreed, if you are dealing with bulk and frequent data, a PowerQuery solution may be best.