View Single Post

Old 03-28-2023, 09:50 AM
ctviggen ctviggen is offline Windows 10 Office 2016
Advanced Beginner

ctviggen is on a distinguished road

Yes, what it looks like is the following (where the [] indicate hidden characters), and this is for this particular configuration, which a lot of us use:

1.[tab]Some text[paragraph mark][indented according to style] More text, no period[paragraph mark][indented according to style] More text, ends in period[paragraph mark]

[indented according to style][paragraph mark]

2.[tab]Some text[paragraph mark][indented according to style] More text, no period[paragraph mark][indented according to style] More text, ends in period[paragraph mark][indented according to style][paragraph mark]

That is, each "chunk" of text starts with a number, then a tab, then some text, then goes to a different style for one or multiple lines/paragraphs, then a blank line, then restarts with a new number. The numbers are in order, starting with 1. This is repeated typically from 20 - 60+ times.

When I use Notepad, the numbers are there.

I typically do this manually. I copy all these "chunks", paste in using Pure Text, which is a program that does what Notepad does, add in "Example " before "1.", highlight everything, search for two paragraphs marks in a row, replace with a paragraph mark then "Example ", and this works perfectly. It's just I have other searches and replacing to do, and do this 100+ times per year. I could change from minutes each time to seconds if I can create a macro.

I can do this without the numbers, but then I have to count the number of "chunks", and figure out how to add in numbers along with the text "Example ". It's possible, and I'm sure I'll do this -- I've gotten a lot closer. It just takes a lot more time than if the numbers were already there.