View Single Post

Old 02-08-2023, 06:05 AM
ChrisGreaves ChrisGreaves is offline Windows 10 Office 97-2003
Novice

ChrisGreaves is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Kenyon View Post
Chris, you are a glutton for punishment! Microsoft did away with marching ants because of complaints from its corporate clients. They could be activated up until Word 2013 using macros, but were then killed. More on this can be found here: Animated Text Effects in Ribbon Versions of Word.

Anyway, you can record a macro of your option settings and set it as an AutoOpen for your document. You will likely want to edit it way down to just that option. If I could still install Word 2003 on my computer, I would track down the exact command. (I have about ten licenses, but I can't find them.)

Do you have access to Woody Leonhard's Word 97 Annoyances? You should probably track it down if you do not. Much of it still applies to Word 2003.
Hi Charles.
I know that I am a glutton; a large part of my life has been spent tackling jobs that others would not tackle.

The issue is not "Marching Ants"; it is "Tools Options", specifically, how to make the settings permanent. I had dashed off a quick one-liner in Normal.dot, since, except for this project, I do not use marching ants, Red, Black or anything, so a quickie in Normal.dot was simplest.

I had Woody's "Underground Guide For Word for Windows", the Word6.0 book, and a later one by Woody, until I had to downsize on retirement 2011.

My experience is that most bugs/issues I found in Word97 and find in Word2003 continue in later versions to this day. That is why I had hoped someone might be aware of this Tools Options setting failing to remain in place.

Cheers, Chris