View Single Post

Old 02-07-2023, 10:42 PM
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline Windows 11 Office 2021

Charles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillerbd View Post
"Only the styles set to display in the Quick Styles Gallery on the Home tab are part of a Quick Style Set."
I disagree with that statement.

For me, I guess, the use of Set in your description is problematic. The Style Set is all the Styles. Quick Styles are those displayed in the Gallery. The term Quick Style Set is a confusing term as it melds two specific cases. Quick Styles are not "Set", but can be changed and rearranged.

I would refer to Faithe Wempen and her edition of Word 2013-In Depth, published by QUE (Pearson).

I have a copy of the Word 4.0 Manual and wish I had the ability to run that version to see the leap that's been made to now and how, and maybe why. MS changed things.
I addressed much of this in my last post.

[Quick] Style Sets are the those displayed on the Design Tab.
They are not a set of all the styles in a document.
Yes, this is confusing. Microsoft is now calling them simply Style Sets.
Microsoft is well known for confusing jargon.

I retain the term "Quick" Style Sets for clarity.
Quote:
Quick Styles is the name that earlier versions of Word used for the styles in the Style Gallery and the style sets on the Design tab; the name has carried over in the folder name, even though the Quick Styles moniker in Word itself is gone now.
Wempen, Faithe. Word 2016 In Depth (includes Content Update Program) (p. 220). Pearson Education. Kindle Edition.

Try a quick experiment.
This is an experiment to see what styles are in what Microsoft calls a Style Set and I refer to as a [Quick] Style Set. It tests the assertion/hypothesis that the only styles saved in such a Style Set are those set for display in the [Quick] Styles Gallery on the Home tab.
  • Remove all styles from the [Quick] Styles Gallery. You can use the following macro if you want. Otherwise, be sure that you remove Headings 3-9 as well. The macro simply goes through all styles and skips those that cannot be in that Gallery.

Code:
Private Sub StylesQuickStylesOff()
    ' Charles Kenyon 2018-12-03
    '
    ' Strips all styles from quickstyles gallery
    '
    Dim aStyle As Style
    On Error Resume Next
    For Each aStyle In ActiveDocument.Styles
        aStyle.QuickStyle = False
    Next aStyle
     On Error GoTo -1
    Set aStyle = Nothing

End Sub
  • If you have the Styles Pane and Home tab displayed you should see something like this.
  • Then save a Custom style set using the command on the Design Tab.
  • Create a new document based on the Normal template.
  • Change as many styles as you want to the color red or some other color.
  • Include at least Normal style and a couple of Heading styles.
  • Have text in the document that uses those styles.
  • If you want, you can use the attached document. Here is a screenshot from that document showing some of the alterations which were made at the Style level.
  • Apply your custom style set.
Nothing will change.
This is because your custom style set had no styles.
Your original document, the one from which you made the [Quick] Style Set had many styles, just no [Quick] Styles.

Then try applying any of the distributed [Quick] Style sets on the Design tab.
The styles that are any of the twenty-five listed will change. Any styles based on them should change.
By the way, you can Undo application of a style set.
Attached Files
File Type: docx QuickStyleTest.docx (23.5 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 02-08-2023 at 01:55 PM.