View Single Post

Old 02-04-2023, 07:12 AM
DBenz DBenz is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2010 32bit
Advanced Beginner

DBenz is on a distinguished road
Default Open second instance of a workbook 2010 as read only method fails for 2013

Hi,
in Excel 2010 , if I launch my finances workbook from desktop shortcut and it appears on screen I get hold of it at top and drag bang it against RHS screen edge and it occupies RHS half of screen.

I then would go to the desktop shortcut for excel itself and launch another instance of excel, then open that excel file by selecting it from recent files list it shows, it says already open so it will be 'read only' and I accept that 'read only' and bang it against left side of screen, I now have my file visible twice, read only at left and editable at right.

Now I can copy data and formats from one page at left to another at right dead easy. I can view one page alongside another dead easy. Look for Tesco food Current ac at left and copy paste it into spending sheet at right etc !

When I do this now in Excel 2013 windows 10 that method fails, the one at left is a blank new sheet new file.

if I launch Excel from desktop shortcut and bang it against lhs screen then browse to the file (I already have open at rhs) it opens the file but reopens in fact the one at rhs, when I bang that at right, the left half is an empty excel file again.

Basically it refuses to open a read only file version of the one already open.

How do I solve this problem ?

is this windows 10 or a change in design of Excel ?

Cheers

DBenz