View Single Post

Old 01-27-2023, 12:42 PM
0rion 0rion is offline Windows 10 Office 2021
Novice

0rion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArviLaanemets View Post
Do you have the Table2 on separate sheet, or on same sheet with Table1? I hope you are using Defined Tables - when formula is same for whole Defined Table column, it auto-populates whenever you add new rows.

When on same sheet, and you want to report all records of your data, then there is no reason to have 2 separate Tables. Simply add those calculated columns into same Table. In case you want to print out 1st column values and calculated columns, add a calculated column which duplicates column A too.
Same Sheet.
Yes, Defined tables.
Two separate tables: here's my reasoning - Table1 is for a barcode scanner data entry...using a defined table is nice because when you scan the data into column A and then into B, it goes to the next row-column A automatically without keyboard input. I can focus on scanning with an occasional glimpse back at the laptop to make sure nothing was missed.

I used to do this all with one table, as you suggested, by unlocking columns AB then protecting the sheet and unchecking Select Locked Cells to make data entry easier. This worked great for me but I want to share this template with my team.

In the end what I'd like is a way to scan data into the two columns without keyboard input, and be able to copy the massaged data into our database tool. I thought if I could set it up with two Tables I could avoid the need to protect and unprotect the sheet for the most user-friendliness.