View Single Post

Old 01-18-2023, 11:33 PM
harry harry is offline Windows 10 Office 2019
Advanced Beginner

harry is on a distinguished road
Default Macro security issue

I am trying to set up a digital signature for a VBA project in Outlook, using the information on the following webpages, but it is not working.

Create and employ a digital certificate with SELFCERT.EXE
Signing your own macros with SelfCert.exe - HowTo-Outlook

Here is the procedure I used:

----------
- Create certificate "MyName" using selfcert.exe.
- Export certificate "MyName" from personal store to .cer file.
- Import certificate "MyName" from .cer file to trusted store.

- Go to Outlook > Developer > Visual Basic > Tools > Digital Signature > Sign As; click on Choose button. At this point, the certificate I created is displayed (there is no option to specify a store or certificate; the one I created is displayed automatically), and when I click on the link "Click here to view certificate properties", it appears to be the trusted one ("This certificate is intended for the following purposes: Ensures software came from software publisher ... ", etc.).

- Click on OK. It then says "The VBA project is currently signed as Certificate Name: MyName"

- Go to Outlook > Developer > Macro Security and select option "Notifications for digitally signed macros, all other macros disabled."

- Click on OK, close VBA, close Outlook, click on "Yes" when prompted "Do you want to save the VBA project 'VbaProject.OTM'?".

- Re-open Outlook.

- Go to Outlook > Developer > Visual Basic > Tools > Digital Signature. It says "The VBA project is currently signed as Certificate Name: [No certificate]", and macros will not run (it says "The macros in this project are disabled.")

----------
It appears the certificate selection is not being saved when closing Outlook or not loaded when re-opening Outlook?

How can I fix this?