Thread: [Solved] Page numbering problem
View Single Post

Old 05-10-2011, 07:53 AM
jsh8051 jsh8051 is offline Windows 7 32bit Office 2010 32bit
Novice

jsh8051 is on a distinguished road
Default Page numbering problem

Hello, I have a page numbering problem. The document I am creating is as follows: One document with multiple training briefs. Each training brief needs to have a page numbering scheme of page X of Y. I also need over all page numbering in the footer for the creation of a table of contents.

For example: Training brief 1 takes up 3 pages. So the over all page numbering in the footer should be page 1 then page 2 then page 3. However, I want at the top of each page of training brief 1 (in the header) to show that the Training brief itself is a total of 3 pages. That means the top of page 1 of training brief 1 would show page 1 of 3. Page 2 of training brief 1 would show page 2 of 3. Page 3 of training brief 1 would show page 3 of 3.

Then I would get to training brief 2. Training brief 2 would consist of 2 pages total. So the over all page number in the footer for training brief 2 would be page 4 and then page 5. Now, at the top of page 1 of training brief 2 you would see page 1 of 2 which is on over all page number 4. Then the next page would show page 2 of 2 which is on over all page number 5.

Ideally the header for each section would contain a unique training brief name, date enacted and the page X of Y numbering scheme. The footer for all pages would be a continuous numbering of all pages from 1 through X.

The table of contents would then show that training brief 1 is on page 1 and training brief 2 is on page 4. I have already found a solution for creating the table of contents properly.

I can not figure out how to get MS word to do the above page numbering or if it is even possible. I know I can create unique headers and footers by using section breaks but this only lets me create a unique header for each section. I essentially need a unique header on each page even when there is a page break not a section break.

The only solution I can think of so far is to have the over all page numbers in the footer. Then create manual page breaks where needed and insert the table that would contain the training brief name along with the unique page numbers in the flow of the text. That solution would be tedious and create problems when it would be time to update the text down the road.

Thanks for your help.

Jeremy