View Single Post

Old 12-20-2022, 11:12 AM
AndyMH AndyMH is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2016
Novice

AndyMH is on a distinguished road
Default Visio2016 cannot drag objects with mouse

Six months ago visio2016 was working fine (don't use it often). Today wanted to update a circuit diagram:
  • Could not drag objects around with the mouse, but I could move them up and down with the cursor keys
  • Could not drag new objects from the symbols pane on the left to the main drawing, but I could copy/paste
  • Could not use the connector tool to connect objects with the mouse.

Googled and things I have tried that have had no impact:
  • shutdown, reboot.
  • using the ESC key as suggested by some posts on the web where the user had the same problem (but seemed to be earlier versions of visio).
  • making sure visio is updated - it has all updates.
  • starting with a new empty document

I'm running visio2016 under win7 in a VM using virtualbox with a linux host. Also have the same but with a win10 VM - has the same problem. This setup unchanged for several years.

Visio is activated. Purchased under the "home user" scheme some years ago when working (I'm now retired). Have office2016 under the same scheme, both working fine, checked - I can drag images around in word2016.

Stuck, the problem makes visio virtually unusable?

Update - I have 3 nearly identical* thinkpad T430 all with the same win7 VM all running linux as the host. Fired up the other two, visio works as it should. Copied the win7 VM from a working laptop to the problem laptop - no change the copied VM has the same problems with visio as the original. At a loss to explain why?

* one has same memory, 16GB, and i7 cpu, the other an i5 and 8GB RAM.

Last edited by AndyMH; 12-20-2022 at 12:52 PM. Reason: update