View Single Post

Old 12-09-2022, 05:39 AM
Shelley Lou Shelley Lou is offline Windows 10 Office 2016
Competent Performer

Shelley Lou is on a distinguished road
Default VBA help with punctuation code

I first posted the issue in VBA Express several months ago but haven't had a reply to that so am posting here in the hope I can resolve some of the issues within the code. I hope I haven't broken any etiquette rules by doing so.

HTML Code:
http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?69330-Word-VBA-help-with-missing-punctuation-macro&highlight=
Document with comments.DOCX

I need some help to iron out a few issues with the code. The code crashes when there are comments at the end of a paragraph with no punctuation. How can I tell the code to skip/ignore comments altogether.

I have tried adding in Chr(160) to include if the semi-colon is followed by a non-breaking space instead of a space but it didn't work and now sure how to include for the code to look for both a space and/or a non-breaking space after a semi-colon.

Code:
oRng.MoveStartWhile Chr(32), wdBackward
There is a list of words that the code should ignore if the para ends with a semi-colon and any of the words, but the code isn't recognising 'and/or' and is still being highlighted. Is this because it is separated with a forward slash and therefore the code isn't recognising it?

Code:
Case "and", "but", "or", "then", "and/or", "plus", "minus", "less", "nor"
I would also like the code to ignore footnotes if they appear at the end of a paragraph as currently they are all being highlighted and not sure what to add so the code skips/ignore footnotes and also square brackets whether they appear in text form fields or not.

Code:
Sub HighlightMissingPunctuation()
Dim oPara As Paragraph
Dim oRng As Range
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    On Error Resume Next
    For Each oPara In ActiveDocument.Paragraphs
        With oPara.Range
            Set oRng = oPara.Range
            oRng.End = oRng.End - 1
            oRng.Collapse 0
            oRng.text = ""
            If .Characters.Last.Previous.InRange(ActiveDocument.TablesOfContents(1).Range) = False Then
            If oPara.Range.Information(wdWithInTable) = False Then
            If Len(.text) > 2 And Not .Font.Bold And Not .Font.AllCaps Then
                If Not .Characters.Last.Previous Like "[.!?:;]" Then
                    .Words.Last.Previous.Words(1).HighlightColorIndex = wdPink
                End If
                End If
                End If
                Select Case .Words.Last.Previous.Words(1)
                    Case "and", "but", "or", "then", "and/or", "plus", "minus", "less", "nor"
                        Set oRng = .Words.Last.Previous.Words(1)
                        oRng.Start = oRng.Start - 1
                        If oRng.Characters(1) = ";" Then
                            'if oPara ends with these words and have semi-colon before them do nothing no highlight else
                            .Words.Last.Previous.Words(1).HighlightColorIndex = wdNoHighlight
                        End If
                        If oRng.Characters(1) = "," Then
                            'if oPara ends with these words and have comma before them highlight pink
                            .Words.Last.Previous.Words(1).HighlightColorIndex = wdPink
                        End If
                    Case Else
                End Select
            End If
        End With
    Next oPara
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub