View Single Post

Old 11-30-2022, 05:44 PM
Guessed Guessed is offline Windows 10 Office 2016
Expert

Guessed has a brilliant futureGuessed has a brilliant futureGuessed has a brilliant futureGuessed has a brilliant futureGuessed has a brilliant futureGuessed has a brilliant futureGuessed has a brilliant futureGuessed has a brilliant futureGuessed has a brilliant futureGuessed has a brilliant futureGuessed has a brilliant future

It appears there is some mysterious list in play here. I did some investigations in your sample doc and when your listnumber field is preceded by particular words (Schedule, Article, Chapter or Section) then those words will appear in the CrossRef dialog. If I try other words in that location, they won't appear in the CrossRef dialog. If I misspell any of the 'allowed' words eg change Schedule to Schedul or Scheedule then suddenly that won't appear in the CrossRef dialog either while other instances spelt correctly will.

So those particular words must be 'special' in some way that 'Part' is not. Presumably this is hard coded into Word's code and perhaps (if MS was somewhat foresighted) it is language dependent and so foreign equivalent words may work in this or other language versions of Word.

I hypothesise that whoever decided hard coding the allowable names did so because of how typical US legal documents are prescribed. If you have a legal background you might be able to guess if there are other 'allowable' words that would also work in this context.