View Single Post

Old 08-08-2022, 02:25 PM
kilroyscarnival kilroyscarnival is offline Windows 10 Office 2021
Expert

kilroyscarnival is just really nicekilroyscarnival is just really nicekilroyscarnival is just really nicekilroyscarnival is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertB View Post
I've finally had to upgrade from Word 2003 to one with a QAT-based UI (2019) that seems to make doing anything at best take longer and at worst be impossible.

For example, I've now spent several hours trying to get the Styles pane to show just the few styles I only use, rather than the dozens more that Word now makes me scroll through, without success.

I thought I might find a solution in the exhaustive collection on Charles Kenyon's website, but after more hours it appears to me that it might not be possible.

Has anyone come up with any way of letting the user select styles from just a handful that you choose?
I think Styles are embedded in the document, rather than the version of Word. So, you'd have to eliminate the Styles you don't want and save to your Normal.dotm template, and/or to a template you want your coworkers to use.

I did pick up a little macro from another site, this fellow on Tips dot com, a few years ago. I found it handy for taking all the unwanted styles out of a document that had been passed around over the years.

Removing Unused Styles (Microsoft Word)

That said, it will only remove from that document any styles not currently used, and styles which are not built-in.

For removing one or two styles, you'd go to Manage Styles, then Import/Export button. I think you can Shift-Select several in a block or Control-Select a bunch of non-consecutive ones, then delete.

Ann