View Single Post

Old 07-27-2022, 08:00 AM
KallenWebDesign KallenWebDesign is offline Windows 11 Office 2013
Novice

KallenWebDesign is on a distinguished road
Default Moving from outlook 2013 to Microsoft 365

So I've done a lot of googling on this but no one seems to be answering these specific questions.

My wife and I each have our email on my domain hosting myemail@mydomain.com
I currently get and send my email in outlook 2013 via pop3/smtp from my domain hosting mailserver.

We have purchased new laptops so this seems like the right time to try jumping forward 9 years and switch to outlook 365.

Among other things I would like my email to be in the microsoft cloud, and not have to worry about a hard disk failure, and losing weeks of email when I revert to a backup pst file. Also because our current setup is a shared mailserver, too much of our email ends up in the recipient's spam folder.

I understand from researching that I can safely(?) import the pst file from outlook 2013 into outlook 365.

I'm pretty sure that will cause it to load our several GB of email and calendar history into the "microsoft 365 cloud"?

Then do I set up the email account settings in outlook 365 to get and send email through my hosting (Web Hosting, Domain Name Registration - MyDomain.com) email server (via imap/smtp)?
Or do I change the mail mx record dns settings on the my hosting's server to use microsoft 365?
Add DNS records to connect your domain - Microsoft 365 admin | Microsoft Docs

Any experienced insight you might have on this will help me feel more confident before I pull the trigger on switching.

Thank you!