View Single Post

Old 07-19-2022, 09:23 AM
kilroyscarnival kilroyscarnival is offline Windows 10 Office 2021
Expert

kilroyscarnival is just really nicekilroyscarnival is just really nicekilroyscarnival is just really nicekilroyscarnival is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windspeed View Post
Ok, more investigation reveals that the "Normal.dotm: File format is not valid" message happens when I try to open Excel on any of 3 different computers. Therefore the offending version of file 'Normal.dotm' must be somewhere common to all 3. The main possibility was Dropbox so I searched there and, surprise surprise, there is a version of the file. (I assume this is not where it is supposed to live?) So I deleted the file (hang the consequences, lets live dangerously!) then opened Excel on each of the 3 computers. No message. All good so far. But each time I've done this over the last month, it has reappeared a few days later, I think when I create a new file with Word...I'll test that over the next few days and report back. The bigger mystery still remains why Excel goes looking for or is sent to a Word 'template' instead of the excel version of template. Have I pointed it in the wrong direction at some stage perhaps? I'll keep looking and report back. Thanks
When you go into Word, and go into File/Options/Save, is there a path to the Dropbox folder somewhere it maybe shouldn't be? Even then, I can't account for it writing the Normal.dotm file there.

On the Dropbox side, you have the desktop app version of Dropbox? Does it have entire folders set to automatically back up there? If so, you might have it pointed at the Program Files\ area which isn't a great idea.