View Single Post

Old 07-19-2022, 03:36 AM
TallTrees TallTrees is offline Windows 10 Office 2021
Novice

TallTrees is on a distinguished road
Default Multilevel numbering - Two styles for the same level?

I have a multilevel list which contains 8 levels of numbering, with each level linked to a style. The numbering is configured from the multilevel list dialog and not set on the style itself. This works perfectly. I followed the tried and tested Shauna Kelly method and actually ended up with about 10 multilevel lists.

What I now need is to effectively link two styles to a level.

This is because the numbering I need to use can have both a "level x" and a "level x heading" style, which look slightly different but use the same numbering scheme.

Example below to make it a bit clearer.

Styles look like this. Numbers are built up using the "use level number from".

Code:
1. Level 1 Style
1. Level 1 Heading Style
1.1 Level 2 style
1.1.1 Level 3 style
By the way, "Level 1 Heading Style" is based on "Level 1 Style", with a few paragraph formatting changes.

If I do something like this, it works, numbering resets properly, everyone is happy

Code:
1 Level 1 Style
1.1 Level 2 Style
1.2 Level 2 Style
1.3 Level 2 Style
2 Level 1 Style
2.1 Level 2 Style
2.2 Level 2 Style
3 Level 1 Style
3.1 Level 2 Style
3.2 Level 2 Style
However when I try this, it doesn't work - see the part in red

Code:
1 Level 1 Style
1.1 Level 2 Style
1.2 Level 2 Style
1.3 Level 2 Style
2 Level 1 Heading Style
1.1 Level 2 Style
1.2 Level 2 Style
Is there a way to get around this? I note that I can't even change the number manually, it would only let me change the red 1.1 to 1.2, and does nothing if I "continue numbering".

I am sure I've seen this exact scenario working before. I know that in the multilevel list dialog I am only able to link one style to each level so is it some configuration in the child style that I need to do? I am unable to upload an example as it is confidential to my company.

Side question - can I delete a multilevel list from a template?