View Single Post

Old 07-12-2022, 12:58 PM
kilroyscarnival kilroyscarnival is offline Windows 10 Office 2019
Expert

kilroyscarnival is just really nicekilroyscarnival is just really nicekilroyscarnival is just really nicekilroyscarnival is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazclocker View Post
I'm working with a very long (380 or so) column of numbers. Each entry in the column is in this format: 0.0215
The entire vertical column is formatted "Number - 4 decimal places".

I want to add the quote mark after each entry WITHOUT CHANGING ANY OF THE NUMERICAL ENTRIES, so that the above entry will appear like this: 0.0215"

The numbers in the column I want to modify are meant to designate fractions of an inch, so that's why I want to add the quote mark.

How can I do that?
You can use the code the others suggested. I just use the cell formatting.

Highlight your cells or your entire column. On the Home ribbon, find the section for Number formatting. I tend to first format as a Number, change to four decimal places, and then go to Custom. In the Custom pane, you can type the character you want to show behind your number. The wrinkle is the quotation mark itself is not going to work, because Excel thinks you're using a formula. So I type behind the number " (open quotation mark) then ' (apostrophe) then another ' (apostrophe), then " (close quotation mark.) The quotes frame what you want to put there, and the two sequential apostrophes appear as if a quotation mark. So, in your Custom line, it's 0.000"''". Quote-apostrophe-apostrophe-quote.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inches.jpg (144.5 KB, 19 views)