View Single Post

Old 05-27-2022, 10:32 AM
DavidE DavidE is offline Windows 10 Office 2016
Novice

DavidE is on a distinguished road
Default Alternatives to Word's Quick Parts for Organizing Often Repeated Sections of Documents

I don't know if this has been asked, but I cannot find a post that describes exactly what I am looking for.

My office routinely prepares several different types of documents - Engineering reports, engineering proposals, and legal declarations, to name three types. All of them have certain language that is unique unto the type of document, but each type of document addresses subjects that we have written about over and over again for many different clients. What we are trying to do is become more standardized and allow the people who write these documents to start with the sections or paragraphs they need rather than have to re-write the same thing over again or look through hundreds of old files to find the document that has what we have previously written about a subject. Every report and declaration is unique, but they all include certain things that are very similar and sometimes identical to another document previously submitted to a different client.

I considered using Word's Quick Parts, but quick parts is not really intended to drop entire sections of documents, which could be several pages long, into a current document. It seems that it would also make for a very large normal.dotm file if we tried to use Quick Parts for every type of document and cover all of the subjects we address.

We could store the standardized language for each subject in a different word file in a common network location, but then the problem is still how to find the exact file we need and quickly import it.

Is there perhaps a third-party tool that can organize and allow someone to easily import often repeated entire sections of documents? If Quick Parts or using very long and descriptive file names are the best answers, then so be it. But if anyone has any suggestions for making this easy, whether using native Word features or some third-party tool, I would appreciate hearing them. Thank you.