View Single Post

Old 02-10-2022, 09:49 AM
Ulodesk Ulodesk is offline Windows 10 Office 2016
Word 2013 Expert Cert

Ulodesk is on a distinguished road
Default How Word table styles disappear from a document

I work in proposals, often with teams of quite a few writers. Work is carried out through a network with simultaneous writing, usually in a document based on a custom template I created. Writers often cut and paste tables from other Word documents with their own table and text styles.

My template includes three custom table styles, which are available to be either copied or, for those using their QAT, inserted or the table style applied.

Sometimes, a given pasted-in table knocks out my custom tables. That is, when my cursor is in it and I go to apply one of our styles, I find that either our table styles no longer appear in my QAT table styles display dropdown, or they are there -- hovering over the table "thumbnail" reveals the name -- but appear stripped of their formatting (e.g., filled header row), disallowing their application. Placing my cursor in another table may bring back the styles.

I have found that all attempts at clearing a problem table's formatting -- Cltrl+Alt+U, clearing para and character formats, using Clear All in the styles pane -- fail. Only cutting the table to a new doc and stripping it -- sometimes even converting it to text and then back to table again (not practical with a large table with merge columns or rows) works.

Any ideas about other techniques that might be a bit more convenient? A macro, perhaps? I do have one that someone here provided, but it copies all tables in the document and pastes them into a new doc as Table Grid.

Thanks.